Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Recipe - homemade play dough

Let me introduce you to my naïve self of...ohhh....2 hours ago....that thought it was a genius idea to make homemade play dough for my 18 month old terror son.

I thought it was brilliant! Santa is bringing him a kitchen, so I thought it would be perfect to introduce him to play dough now, so we can make all sorts of play dough cookies come Christmas.

Welllll...... I'm here to tell you, if your kid is any thing like mine (think crazy), do not do it. Hahahhaha!!

I have friends whose 18-month-olds LOVE play dough and seriously play with it, appropriately. Key word- appropriately.

Jacob, on the other hand, ate it, fed it to the dogs, rubbed it into the couch (after I told him not to), and attempted to mush it in the carpet. That's where I draw the line.

So, here's the recipe. If you are brave enough to try it. It's super easy! Takes about 10 minutes, but you need to pay constant attention to it.



Ingredients
1 cup flour
1/2 cup salt
2 tsp. cream of tarter
1 cup water
1 tbs. vegetable oil
food colorings

Directions
1) Put flour, salt and cream of tarter in a large sauce pan over medium-low heat. Mix around.
2) Pour in water and veg oil. Mix thoroughly.
3) Continue mixing until it gets firmer, much like mashed potatoes.
4) You can add your food coloring now. I added 5 drops of green, and it ended up being pretty pastel-ish (see above picture). Just FYI.
5) Mix the food coloring in thoroughly, and continue mixing. You want the dough to start separating from the pan. I was SHOCKED after a few minutes, it really does start doing that!
6) Once its clumping together, remove it from the heat and place in a bowl to cool. I could "play" with it immediately, but I let it cool for a few minutes before giving it to Jacob.

That's it! HAVE FUN!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment