Saturday, December 28, 2013

A Very Merry Christmas

It's almost depressing how quickly Christmas comes and go. With all the anticipation and prepping and planning, it's insane how fast it all goes by!

We had the best holiday week ever, and I'm a little sad that's its over. But alas...a Christmas recap for your reading pleasure!

We went to Cleburne on Dec 23 to celebrate Christmas with Josh's mom, sister and her husband. My MIL always prepares the best brunch and party-atmosphere. Especially for 10am! We ate some delicious food, opened gifts, and hit the road so Jacob could nap in the car. Although he only slept for 30 minutes. Ick! Jacob always has so much fun at his Coco's house, chasing the cats and playing in her backyard. Good thing because he'll be spending a few days there in the upcoming weeks, as Josh and I are going on a little vacation (more on that later!).





How stinkin' cute is he?!

My parents arrived on the 23rd as well, so pretty much as soon as we got home- they showed up and we helped move them in (ha) and cook dinner. There's something about having a packed house that makes me a little stressed and anxious, but overall everything went great.

My sister and her husband came over on Christmas Eve and we hung out for awhile while I made enchiladas (a Monroe family tradition). After Jacob woke from his nap, we headed to the Christmas Eve Family Service at our church. It was perfect- 35 minutes, involved the kids, and had a short sermon. After that, we came home and had a delicious Mexican feast complete with queso, enchiladas and tamales. Then we opened presents while watching The Sound of Music (yet another Monroe family tradition- I think we all know all the words to that movie). As soon as Jacob went to bed, we pulled out all the Santa loot and crashed. We were all exhausted!


Christmas morning was so magical. I will never forget Jacob's face when he saw his kitchen and play table. He was kinda cranky when he woke up that morning (at 9:15 I might add- Jacob's Christmas present to all of us!), but as soon as I carried him into the family room and he saw all the goodies...he quickly stopped whining, insisted I put him down, smiled and went to town! I think he played with his kitchen for a good hour before realizing there was more stuff. In the meantime, I tossed a batch of cinnamon rolls in the oven and us adults sipped on some coffee.

 
I don't really care about presents for me, which is pretty hilar because about 3 years ago- I really used to care. I really love presents. But now that I have a kid, presents for ME really aren't all that important. But, with all that said, I am thankful to have a husband that is good at gift-giving (or at least catching the hints I drop- ha!). This year he got me this beautiful monogram necklace and a pair of Hunter boots! Somehow I didn't manage to get a picture of the boots, but they will come in handy on our upcoming vacay to San Francisco! Can't wait!


Josh's dad came over that afternoon, and we had a delicious feast for dinner. I made a turkey, roast, mashed potatoes, stuffing, green bean casserole, macaroni and cheese and rolls. Yummmy!!! We hardly had room for the desserts- cheesecake made by my dad, and bourbon chocolate pecan pie made by my MIL! I bought Josh and his dad Moscow mule mugs, and all the ingredients for the actual drink, and let's just say- they had a FUN Christmas! Ha! The mugs were a big hit, and I will probably be gifting them to my parents for their upcoming birthdays.



Since everyone left on the 26th, we've had a bit of a Christmas hangover. Not really motivated to do much, besides devour all the leftovers and watch movies and football. We did actually take the decorations down today, which felt good.

Now, on to New Years...2014!!! Can you believe it?! I'm starting a 10-day clean eating cleanse tomorrow, to kick off the new year on the right foot. I'll post the first week's meal plan tomorrow, so be sure to stop by for that. Until then- have a lovely evening!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment