Friday, December 13, 2013

DIY tutorial - canvas print

Hi everyone, and HAPPY FRIDAY!

I am so excited about this. So excited I wish I would've done it a long time ago.

I always saw these tutorials on Pinterest, but they looked hard and complicated. And quite honestly, I kinda think some DIYers lie about how easy projects are. But I'm here to tell you that this really is EASY! 
So here you have it DomestiKATE's DIY canvas print tutorial...
 

DIY canvas print

Step 1: buy a canvas and photo print the same size. I actually made a 12"x12" canvas out of a 12x14 print. I obviously had to trim the print to make it work, but it turned out great! You can do that too. 
Step 2: paint the edges and about 1" from the edge on top of your canvas with black paint. And let it dry. Like so...




Step 3: paint a thin layer of Modge Podge on the face of your canvas. I use this MP in matte and I really like it. 






Step 4: place your photo on top of the wet Modge Podge. You want to move pretty quickly, so the MP doesn't dry. 



Step 5: once you have the photo where you want it, paint another thin layer of Modge Podge over your photo. Keep your paint strokes going in the same direction (vertical or horizontal). And let it dry. 




Step 6: once that layer of Modge Podge has dried, paint another thin layer of MP in the opposite direction. This creates a canvas-like finish. 



That's it!! Make sure all your Modge Podge dries thoroughly. I'd let it dry for a good 24 hours.  


I even did a 24"x36" (the very top picture) and it turned out phenom! Of course, ordering a color print that size is pricey, but it's still wayyy cheaper than ordering a canvas print that size. 

Good luck!!! 

7 comments:

  1. Where did you get the canvas? A craft store? And is it just a regular picture print? This looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought the canvases from HobLob (with a 40% off coupon, of course) and the prints were just regular prints from Walgreens! I got the large print (24x36) from Mpix though, for the quality. Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. how much did you end up spending on the whole project? It looks great by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beth! I'm glad you like it! I made a bunch of different canvases for Christmas presents, so it's hard to gauge the individual costs. However, I bought all the canvases on sale and had the Modge Podge and brushes. So it was really cheap!!

      Delete
  4. Did you use photo paper or regular paper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never printed my own pictures for this project, I always print them at Walgreens. But I'm sure you could just print them on regular paper at your house!

      Delete
  5. Photo Canvas Collage prints are the ideal way to display lots of your stunning images without buying masses of bulky picture frames or cluttering up the house. With the use of smartphones and readily available digital cameras, we have become a nation of amateur photographers, using Instagram to capture our favourite moments. Out of this we now have some incredible photographs we are sure to treasure forever; the problem is there are just too many of them, making the task almost impossible when
    choosing images to display in our homes

    ReplyDelete