Friday, November 8, 2013

Recipe - crockpot tomato basil soup

I am SO EXCITED about this recipe! I love love love tomato basil soup, especially from La Madeleine, but I hate hate hate that its mostly prepared with cream. I just can't bring myself to eat food with heavy creams! So, for that reason alone- I'm beyond thrilled to share this recipe with you! And its delish. That definitely "ups" the excitement.

There's nothing better than a warm hearty soup on a cold fall day, and this soup does not fall short on any of that. Yummy!!


Ingredients
3x 28oz cans whole peeled tomatoes (I prefer San Marzano tomatoes)
3 tbs olive oil
3 large carrots, diced
2 medium sweet onions, finely diced
4 cloves garlic, peeled and left whole
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 tbs salt
1 quart chicken broth
10 basil leaves
Freshly grated Parmesan and additional basil leaves for garnish (if you want)

Directions
1) Combine all ingredients in your crockpot. Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours, until flavors are blended and vegetables are soft.
2) Allow the soup to cool slightly, and then puree in a blender until smooth. Serve immediately, or transfer the soup back to the crockpot and keep on warm until your guests arrive.
3) Garnish with more fresh basil and some grated Parmesan cheese. ENJOY!

I served this tonight with sourdough grilled cheese, and let me tell you- even my husband who is a total veggie-hater LOVED this meal! Yay!


No comments:

Post a Comment