Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Breastfeeding - excess lipase

excess lipase

When I first started introducing the bottle to Jacob, over two years ago, he strongly resisted it. I tried different types of bottles and had people besides me attempt to feed him, but he just wouldn't take it!

Finally one day it dawned on me to try the milk myself. I followed all the breastmilk storage guidelines, but ya never know! Low and behold, my milk had spoiled after less than 24 hours in the fridge. 

I started doing lots of research on what could cause this and eventually settled on the fact that my breastmilk had excess lipase, which is the enzyme that breaks down fat. So basically my milk was breaking down way faster than most people's, causing it to turn really quickly (like within a few hours).

In order to stop this process you have to inactivate the lipase, which is done by scalding the freshly expressed milk on the stove. 

Sound like a big pain in the a$$? It is. But if it allows  Y O U  to get out of the house for a little bit, you do it. 

So here's the deets...

After you pump, put a small pot on the stove on high heat and pour your pumped milk in there.
 
excess lipase

In the meantime, you can throw all your pumping stuff in the sink with hot water and soap.

Once you see bubbles around the edge, remove the pot from the heat and turn the heat off. You just want to scald the milk, not actually bring it to a boil.

After that, use a funnel to pour the scalded milk back into the storage container and immediately put it in the fridge. You need to cool down the milk immediately, even if you plan on serving it later. 

excess lipase
 
That's it!  From there you can use the typical guidelines for serving, storing and freezing.

I hope this helps someone, as it has really been a lifesaver for me! I've started pumping when Judd goes down for his morning nap to start a little stash! So excited to actually be able to bottle feed this time around!

No comments:

Post a Comment