Monday, September 30, 2013

DIY tutorial - no sew pillow covers

I'm back again with another amazing DIY tutorial for you- no sew pillow covers. Boom!

DIY no sew pillow covers

Similar to my no sew curtains, I used Stitch Witchery and I highly recommend this brand (and the super weight option). I tried Heat n' Bond one day when I was desperate, and it seriously SUCKS! Do not buy that crap!

Unlike my no sew curtains (can you tell I'm promoting that tutorial? you should probably go check it out), this tutorial is a little more confusing, so bare with me...

First things first- you need to figure out how much fabric you need.

You need 2 pieces of fabric per pillow. Your first piece will be 2" wider on each side to allow for your hem (mine was 24"x24" for a 22" pillow). Your second piece will be 2" wider and 7" longer to allow for your envelope and hem (mine was 24"x29"). In this case, I only needed 1 yard of fabric per pillow (54" wide and 36" long).

DIY no sew pillow covers

I started by making one large piece- 54" wide (the entire width of the fabric) by 29" long. Then I cut it in half width-wise, so each piece was now 29" long by 27" wide. Starting with the first piece of fabric I discussed earlier, I trimmed one of the pieces down to 24"x24" (cutting a bit off each side). Then I simply trimmed the second piece down to 24"x29". You don't have to be super careful about how straight your edges are, as they will be folded under the hem, so you won't see it.

Then, you want to cut your second piece in half length-wise. This second piece will be the back of your pillow, or the "envelope".

DIY no sew pillow covers
 
Next, take 1 of those pieces from the second piece and make a hem in the middle. This will be the back of your pillow (or the envelope) and the only hem you see. To make the hem, you first want to fold the fabric over about 1/2 and inch and iron it all the way across to get a nice crease. Like so..

DIY no sew pillow covers
 
Then cut your hem tape the length of the fabric and insert it deep into your crease...

DIY no sew pillow covers
 
Then, if you're using Stitch Witchery, you'll fold the fabric back over the hem tape, lay a wet cloth over the fabric and lay your HOT iron on top of that. You want to create serious steam. Keep the iron in the same spot for 10 seconds, or about as long as it takes for the steam sound to stop, then pick it up and move it down the edge. You want to cover the entire edge with your wet cloth and iron (and hem tape- obv). 
 

Next you want to overlay the back 2 pieces (the piece you just hemmed and the other non-hemmed piece) so they match the size of the front piece. But inside out. So the pattern-side of the fabric is facing each other. Does that make sense? Eventually you'll turn it right-side out.

DIY no sew pillow covers

You're now going to start hemming all your edges. This is super easy. You literally just cut your hem tape however long your edge is, insert it between both pieces of fabric, iron and repeat until all your edges are hemmed. Take your time and remember to do both sides of the fabric.

DIY no sew pillow covers

DIY no sew pillow covers

Once you're done with all your edges, turn the fabric right-side out verrrry carefully! If you're anything like me, you can't wait to see your finished product and your hem tape will probably still be a little warm.


And VOILA! You have a pillow cover. Insert your pillow throw the opening in the back and tuck the un-hemmed piece of fabric into the hemmed piece. Since I have a crazy 16-month old, I used a safety pin to keep the 2 pieces together, but you could easily just leave it without or even sew a button (if you're really crafty!).

DIY no sew pillow covers

I hope this made sense, and if so- I can't wait to see all your fabulous new pillows!!! The options are seriously endless, and I plan to update my pillows every season now. I'm sure my husband will be thrilled!!

Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment