Monday, September 9, 2013

Recipe - easy-peasy (and delicious) lasagna


Disclaimer: if you came here expecting One Direction's, Justin Beiber's and/or David Beckham's favorite lasagna...I'm sorry. It's my husband's fault. But please stay and look around!! *kisses*

I like to do a yummy, hearty Italian meal for Sunday dinners. Most weeks I end up throwing together frozen stuffed shells or frozen cheese raviolis and a jar of my favorite vodka sauce, but this week I decided to make homemade lasagna, and to be even more ambitious- I didn't use a recipe. Usually we have Pizza Hut on speed dial for meals like this, but last night we were all completely shocked with the results. Easy-peasy homemade lasagna, like a boss. Here you are, friends...

Ingredients
28oz tomato puree (we like this brand- its organic and super low in sodium and delicious)
28oz whole San Marzano tomatoes (we like this brand and you gotta use San Marzano tomatoes, it makes all the difference in my opinion)
1/2 onion, chopped
3-4 garlic cloves, chopped
2 cups mozzarella, shredded (I just buy the bagged stuff)
2 cups parmesean, shredded
15oz ricotta cheese (I used part skim and it tasted just as good)
oven ready lasagna noodles
1 cup milk
Italian seasoning, to taste
Garlic salt, to taste
Black pepper, to taste

Directions
1) You want to make the sauce first and let it sit for like 2 hours. To do this, pour the whole San Marzano tomatoes in a large bowl and rip them apart. You want the chunks to be pretty big, and when you rip them apart you can take off any stems that are left. Then add the tomato puree. Chop up half a white onion and a few garlic gloves (we like garlic, so I used 4 cloves). Add the onion, garlic cloves and Italian seasoning, garlic salt and black pepper (I don't even know how much I used, a heafty shake or two of each?). Then cover it and put it in the fridge for a couple hours.
2) Then, about an hour before you want to eat- assemble the lasagna and bake. To assemble, you'll put a small amount of your chilled sauce on the bottom of a 9x13 pan (ungreased). Then start layering your uncooked noodles, sauce and cheeses. We had two layers, so ours was (from bottom to top) sauce, noodles, sauce, cheese, noodles, sauce, cheese.
3) Cover and bake at 400 for 1 hour. Uncover for the last 10 minutes and you can add a little more cheese if you're a cheese-aholic, like us.
4) Once done, remove from oven and let sit for 15-20 minutes to firm up. If you can wait. We couldn't last night, so ours was a bit runny. Still totally delicious. ENJOY!



No comments:

Post a Comment