Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Recipe - clean jambalaya

My husband loves, double loves jambalaya. I usually just make the boxed Zatarain's stuff. It's pretty good, but it's definitely not clean. Ever since wrapping up my latest cleanse, I've been trying to eat cleaner. That means no boxed jambalaya in this house, and let me just tell you- my husband is cranky.

So, I went on the hunt for a "clean" jambalaya. Considering jambalaya has sausage in it, it's very hard to make this truly clean.

I found this awesome Gracious Pantry recipe, but I didn't like how meat-heavy it was and it didn't seem to have enough heat for our family. So I modified it (per usual). (side note: The Gracious Pantry is a wonderful resource for clean-eating recipes- I frequent her website often!)

Here is my recipe. This was so good, but pretty spicy. Consider that your warning. :)



Ingredients
1 red onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
4 celery stalks, diced
1/4 tsp. cayenne
2 tbsp. garlic powder
1 tbsp. onion powder
2 tbsp. creole seasoning
1 tsp. thyme
3 tsp. EVOO
1 lb. sausage (I used this turkey kielbasa, which is obviously not clean. I believe you can get clean sausage at a local butcher, and I think Applegate Farms makes a clean-ish sausage.)
8oz tomato sauce (no salt/sugar added)
2 cups rice
2 cups chicken broth (low sodium)

Directions
1) sautée your veggies in the EVOO for a few minutes until they get nice and tender
2) slice your sausage and put that in the pot with the veggies
3) add all the seasonings and stir it all around. Let it simmer for a few minutes with the seasonings. 
4) add in the remaining ingredients and cook until all the broth has been absorbed. I bought the 5 min rice and it worked just fine!

I hope y'all love thi as much as we did. I'm pretty sure it's officially made it's way into our regular rotation. 

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment